Topic Brainstorm


 

"Hades and Cerberus in museum of Archaeology in Crete"

Aviad Bubil. Online Source: Wikimedia Commons

First Storybook Idea: Exploring the Facets of Hades character. Online Source: Wikipedia. From the topic "The Greek Underworld"

Percy Jackson and the Olympians was one of my favorite book series in middle school, and it still is today. My favorite part of school was getting to read and call it homework, and I particularly loved the introduction to Greek mythology in elementary school, so I loved getting to explore the same things through an entire book series. But what Percy Jackson really brought to light for me was the mistreatment Hades gets in how he is remembered. Nobody likes the idea of death or objective justice (because we all have things in our past that make us squirm), so I think it becomes easier to make Hades a villain. So I would love to explore some of the injustices to his character, like the idea about what his name means, etc., and retell his story as a god who was wronged by those around him. I think it would be neat to also bring in Hephaestus and use his story as an example of how the "good" gods and goddesses have treated people badly. I would maybe even want to tell unflattering stories about popular gods and goddesses with Hades as a narrator. I think it would be really fun!

"Hestia Giustiniani"

Unknown Artist. Online Source: Wikimedia Commons

Second Idea: The Forgotten Goddesses. Online Source: Hygeia, Hebe, and Hestia. From the topic: "Greek Goddesses"

I think it's pretty clear by this point that I really love Greek mythology. But everyone knows the stories and names of the 12 main gods and goddesses, or at least has heard of them. I think it would be fun to try and tell/retell the stories of minor goddesses who were still relevant, but have received less attention. It's been thousands of years since the height of the Grecian Empire, so many minor deities have faded into obscurity, remembered only by those who devote their lives to the study of the Ancient Greek culture. But these figures were once worshipped and adored. They weren't as important, but they still had roles in people's daily lives, they were sacrificed to, and they were known. And it would be fascinated to bring back some of these stories, or to invent stories portraying their importance in their time.

"Greek Lettering, Greek Theatre, Syracuse, Sicily, 2011."

Terry Feuerborn. Online Source: Flickr

Third Idea: Go Greek! Online Source: Wikipedia. From the topic: "The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus"

Being in Greek life has its ups and downs, but it's something that (much to my own surprise) has become a part of my identity. I am a member of Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies, and I love it! We're a part of non-traditional Greek life, but interacting with people in my sorority and, through it, other Greek organizations, I've come to see why people love it so much. I think it would be really fun to do a series retelling classic stories from the lives of the gods and goddesses, but in the context of them being in "Greek life." To avoid any disrespect to existing fraternities and sororities, I would invent my own, but I think this could be a fun way to connect "being Greek" to actual Greek mythology! 

"red cartoon ghost"

Angela Barreiros. Online Source: Flickr

Fourth Idea: My Best Friend Is a Ghost. Online Source: True Irish Ghost Stories. From the topic: "Irish Ghost Stories"

I don't believe in ghosts, but I don't like the idea of tempting the supernatural. I think the stories can pretty well always be attributed to something else, but I get uncomfortable at the thought of examining it too closely because of a fear of what I might find. That being said, I've noticed that pretty well every ghost representation is of a spooky or harmful ghost. I think it would be fun to tell stories of a helpful ghost who who's misunderstood and just wants a friend! It reminds me of one of my favorite books when I was little, My Friend the Vampire, by Angela Sommer-Bodenburg. The author flips the switch on the narrative of vampires as terrifying beings by introducing them as average children who want friends. Doing something similar with ghosts would be really fun!

Comments

Popular Posts