Topic Research: Minor Greek Deities

 

Eros and Pisque

Story 1: Hestia

I like all of my storybook ideas, but I think I'm really taken with looking at the minor deities. For Hestia (and, likely, for all of them), I'll probably invent a story.  I want to tell a story of her helping a woman and the meaning that the ways she was acknowledged bring to her. From what I read about her on theoi.com, she was actually, in a way, the most important goddess because she was responsible for the sacrifices. But she didn't participate in the general Olympic shenanigans, so I want to show the way that she cared for homes and hearth. One possible way would be showing her keeping a fire burning throughout a winter to keep a family warm, or something else showing a strong-willed but kind nature.

Source: theoi.com

Story 2: Eros

We all know about cherubs and cupid as the chubby little baby, but I think it could be really fun to examine the part of Greek mythology that has Eros as a mischievous young man. It would definitely be a challenge to think of a scenario to use him in and a story that I would like (without getting too gushy or cheesy). But this version of Eros makes me think of A Midsomer Night's Dream, when Titania is made to fall in love with Bottom because she and Oberon had a fight. I think of Eros being like Oberon, and I could possibly come up with a story showing his mischievous side, but also give it a happy ending because he is still basically the god of love.

Source: theoi.com

Story 3: Horae

I didn't realize until I was reading about minor goddesses that the Horae even exist. They are the goddesses of the weather and of the seasons, and were apparently particularly adored by farmers. I want to tell a story about them as they take on a particular farming family and watch over them. This would be much like the regular gods and goddesses "fall in love" with humans, but it would not be romantic love. Rather, I would like to see them demonstrate genuine care for the well-being of the people, and how they maybe even break traditional rules of the seasons, and that possibly leading to a showdown between them and Zeus? I think most of the Olympians don't actually care for humans as anything beyond toys, so the main thing that I want to showcase (in this story and in Hestia's), is a strength of character in these minor goddesses that the main twelve don't seem to possess.

Source: theoi.com

Comments

Popular Posts