Extra Credit Reading Notes: Sioux Unit, Part A


American Bison. Web Source: Wikimedia Commons

    Honestly, what I think I'm going to do for my reading notes with this one is to type out what I wrote for each story. If something in particular really grabs my attention, I may stop there and just really let my thoughts flow. But I think that this is the best way for me to really start getting my creative juices going.
  1. The Rabbit and the Grouse Girls
    1. I felt so bad for the poor grouse in this story. It is interesting to see rabbits as tricksters so often, though.
  2. The Rabbit and the Bear
    1. This one is so sad! I really wish the bear hadn't died, but I don't think that it's really the rabbit's fault. He was trying so hard to be gentle!
  3. The Story fo the Lost Wife
    1. I don't really love the fact that the husband and wife become reconciled. I really don't think he deserved her, and I don't think that an abuser ever deserves access to the person that they abused. But I do really love seeing wolves treated well and with respect. They are my absolute favorite animal and have been treated so poorly in the U.S. 
  4. The Simpleton's Wisdom
    1. A lot of wisdom in this tale, especially when it comes to dealing with grief and how we should do that. It's so easy to let ourselves get overwhelmed, but I agree that there's nothing wrong with learning to laugh through the pain. It's honestly all we can do right now.
  5. A Little Brave and the Medicine Woman
    1. I mean... he kind of got what was coming to him. That was not a kind joke to play on people.
  6. The Boy and the Turtles
  7. The Hermit
  8. The Mysterious Butte
    1. This story is just so wild. It also reminds me a little bit about how the Oracle at Delphi was in a cave. I kind of wonder if there's some reason for why we associate caves with wisdom/fortune telling. Like is it to do with the absolute unknown and mystery with them? I don't know. I just think it's really interesting.
Bibliography: Myths and Legends of the Sioux by Marie McLaughlin, 1916

Comments

Popular Posts