Philadelphia, PA - My Favorite Place

Moving to Oklahoma for college was a weird experience for me and challenged my understanding of my identity. I was used to telling people I was basically from Philly, even though I live in New Jersey, adn them understanding what I meant. Suddenly, I was having to explain how Philly has both PA and NJ suburbs, that I'm really much closer to Philly than NYC, and why my accent more closely resembles a Philly one than a stereotypical "Jersey" accent. But I wouldn't change growing up 10 miles from such a culturally rich and diverse environment for anything.

Seeing the Philly skyline again, even in an image, makes my heart hurt. I went home for five months due to the pandemic, but was unable to go to Philly during that time, as I felt it was not worth the risk of exposure to COVID-19. I haven't been back in about eight months, and I miss it so much.

"The Philadelphia Skyline at Dusk"
Bruce Emmerling. Web Source: Wikimedia Commons

My favorite spot in Philly is the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University in Center City. It's right by the Franklin Institute, so it is often overshadowed by the large white building of National Treasure fame. It is, however, very famous in its own right as the oldest natural sciences institution (it is both a museum and a research center) in America. It was founded in 1812 and many famous naturalists have been a part of it, including John J. Audubon. I myself volunteered as an educator in the children's exhibit for five years, and I maintain that it was the most fulfilling extracurricular I did and taught me more about life than anything else has.


"Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia"
Jim the Photographer. Web Source: flickr 

 

Finally, the LOVE statue is a staple thing to visit in Philly, and I love the connection it gives me to Norman. The LOVE statue outside Jacobson Hall is one of the things that helped me feel at home during my freshman year while I was still adjusting to the move. 

""Love" statue, Philadelphia"
Richard Howe. Web Source: flickr

Comments

  1. Yay for Philadelphia, Leah! I have had friends who lived there, and I almost got a job there myself once: it's a place I would have been very happy to live, that's for sure. And how great that you actually worked there in the museum... wonderful! I love museums, and I am very worried for the museums that are imperiled by the COVID; it has been a hard time for them for sure... I know you will be glad to get to travel to Philadelphia again soon. And I don't know if you noticed, but I put your LOVE statue in the announcements today... I like to snag something from the blog stream every day, and this picture was just perfect since it is a beautiful message plus such a cool connection between OU and Philly for people to see! Monday, August 24 announcements

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts