Week 2 Reading Overview



Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4.

Week 3: __The Iliad_______

Week 4: __The Odyssey_______

Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6.

Week 5: __Ancient Egypt Myths and Stories_______

Week 6: __Tutinameh, or Tales of a Parrot_______

Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.]

Week 7: __Japanese Mythology_______

Week 9: __Brer Rabbit_______

Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11.

Week 10: _Sioux________

Week 11: __Blackfoot_______

Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13.

Week 12: __Beowulf_______

Week 13: __Celtic Tales_______

Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15.

Week 14: __Dante's Inferno_______

Week 15: __Czech_______

I'm really excited about all the readings that are coming! I definitely think I'll be doing some reading ahead as extra-credit assignments, there's just so many stories I want to read! It reminds me a lot of the readings I did for a world literature class in high school, which was one of my favorite classes, but there's so much more that we'll get to cover in this class. I loved fairy tales when I was little (and still do), to the point where I read the entirety of the Brother's Grimm fairy tales at about twelve years old. This means I'm particularly excited for the fairy tales we get to read (especially the Czech ones, they seem so interesting). There's so much to look forward to, and I can't wait to dive into the class!


"Neuschwanstein"
gerdragon. Web Source: flickr

I chose this picture of Neuschwanstein for a few reasons. First of all, as the inspiration for Disney's Sleeping Beauty Castle, it is commonly associated with fairy tales and magic, even for those who know little of the castle's history. But, upon diving into the construction, the decorations, the project itself, and the "Mad King" Ludwig who had it built, the castle takes on a life of its own. I don't have time or space (or even enough knowledge) to dive into the details of the castle (those who are interested should start with this Wikipedia article for a general overview), but what really stands out to me is the contrast between Neuschwanstein and its much humbler neighbor, Schloss Hohenschwangau. This castle was Ludwig's childhood home, rebuilt and restored by his father. Despite its modest proportions, in comparison to Neuschwanstein, the castle is actually completed and furnished. The furnishings are nothing compared to the grandness of the relatively few completed rooms in Neuschwanstein, but the building feels whole. It's hard to find the right words for me to describe exactly what I mean with this comparison, but it feels like a living fable. I think several fable-like morals could be drawn from this: setting smaller goals and actually being able to accomplish them, not judging something's insides by the exterior, etc. 

Comments

Popular Posts