Week 3 Storytelling: Side Character Microfictions

Statuette of Hephaestus 

Mary Harrsch. Web Source: Flickr

 "Hephaestus's Narrative"

    All I want is peace. Others may look at me and wonder about my appearance, but it bothers me not. To survive in Olympus and to have a relationship with my parents required me to become a peacemaker. Just today, I used my deformed appearance to prevent a quarrel amongst the gods. While they argued about what to do for Achilles, I thought what I could do for them. As my family took its places for their evening meal, I took the place of our beautiful servant boy and served them wine. They mocked and scorned me, but it brought peace.


"The Horses in Mourning"

    "Surely, we have been cursed!"

    The horses of Achilles stood to the side of the battle, refusing to care about the consequences. Their beloved Patroclus was dead. Was this a punishment from Zeus? He had given them immortal life, undying spirits. But this grief, this pain, was a torture worse than death. How could the world keep on spinning, the armies keep on fighting, when this kind of pain was a common experience? No creature, man or beast, should be forced to endure such misery. It was unjust. What had they done to offend Zeus and bring down this curse?


"He Never Came Home"

    I warned him. I begged, I pleaded. But it was to no avail. He was too brave, too clever, too proud. And now my son... my son is left alone. Is he to be an orphan? This pain is too great for me to bear. The only one that feels my pain is Priam. Paris is too selfish. He won't stop talking about "the sacrifices of war." How Helen can stay with him, I do not understand. If war requires sacrifices, why did Hector have to make it? Why couldn't it be Paris? Why my husband, my true love?


Authors note: I read Homer's Iliad this week, and there were several side characters whose internal monologues I was curious about, which is what led to these three "microfictions." I didn't change the plots in any way, I just tried to write a non-existent internal monologue for some of my favorite side characters. The first one takes place in Olympus, as Achilles' mother has begged Zeus to take pity on her son, but that is adding to the conflicts between Zeus and Hera. In an attempt to ease the tension on Olympus, Hephaestus takes on the role of a servant and serves everyone wine at their meals, and everyone laughs at him for his limp and deformities. This struck me as so selfless, that I wanted to imagine Hephaestus as a "purer" god, despite his appearance, than the beautiful (but horrible) other gods.

The second story, "The Horses in Mourning," takes place after the death of Patroclus. They are Achilles horses, and he lent them to Patroclus (who went into the battle to try and help the Greeks, but Achilles was still refusing to fight after Agamemnon's mistreatment of him). They are immortal beings, but then are sad and mourn Patroclus. I was struck by the idea of an animal having to endure part of the basic human condition, so I wanted to explore that.

The third story is from the perspective of Andromache, the wife of Hector (the brother of Paris, who stole Helen away, starting this whole war). Andromache was terrified that Hector wouldn't return, and so I wanted to think from her perspective. I also wanted to consider how terrible it must have been to lose your husband because your brother-in-law couldn't be satisfied with any other woman than one who was already married.

Bibliography: Homer's The Iliad, retold by A.J. Church.

Comments

  1. The little story "The Horses in Mourning" is very attractive and impressive. I have the same thoughts just like what shows in the story. For me, I also think immortal life is a kind of curse. For the human, it may be a good thing at the beginning, but things changed when time goes on. Just like the horse in the story, his best friend has died. For other people who have immortal life, their parents and friends would also die when they still alive. All these things would make them feel that immortal life is not a beautiful gift but an evil cursed.
    For this story, I feel curious about why Hephaestus gives his servant boy wine. All he wants is peace, but his servants would scorn and mock him. Could you explain more about why the scorning and mocking could make him feel peaceful?
    Also, for the horses of Achilles, what if its partner who did not die? Would the horse still feel painful?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading the short stories you picked. I wonder how the narrative would change in each one if you combined them all together in some underlying theme? I think the stories you picked are very intriguing and have a lot of potential to expand on if that is the direction you are wanting to take this. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leah!
    I like that you opted to do microfictions rather than a full-length story, it was quite interesting!
    I also think that it was a really fun way to work off of the Iliad, where you focused on these small little internal stories of some of the side characters, rather than focusing in on the larger narratives or more central characters of the work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts