Week 8 Reading and Writing



Lioness

Marie Rosalie (Rosa) Bonheur, 1879. Web Source.

    After reading through the stories that I've written for this class, I'm overall relatively happy with them. I'm very much the kind of writer where I enjoy something in the moment, but then hate re-reading and evaluating my work. If I were doing a portfolio instead of a story book, I think I would be forced to confront this fear a little bit more, especially since I think there is a decent amount of promise in a couple of my stories, especially if I were to put the effort into revising them.

    In terms of writing for my project, I'm feeling a little bit mixed about it. I loved the character of Janus; it just feels so easy to write for him, and I think it's because I have a good idea of who he is in my head. This sounds a little odd, but I've recently started playing Dungeons and Dragons, and Janus is very similar to the character I created for myself. That makes me feel like I understand him and his motivations a lot more. But I'm not sure that I'm happy with the story I wrote for Hestia this week. I like her and want to honor her, but I think that writing her story was what made me realize a bit the task I took on in trying to create stories that are true to a narrative, but don't have a direct story to serve as a source for inspiration. So I have some mixed feelings about that, but I'm just going to work my hardest and do my best on it. I am being forced to remind myself of the growth mindset I promised I would try to adapt this semester, and accepting that writing is a process and that nothing is going to be perfect the first time I try is a good place to work on.

    The image that I chose for this blog post comes from my story from Week 2, in which I retold Aesop's "The Lion in Love." I was on a creative roll for that story and felt incredibly inspired while writing it, and it's left me still feeling pretty good about it, even six weeks later.

    What I'll end this post with is some thoughts about where I want to go from here. I think that it would be good for me to be a lot more organized with this class. I often push it aside until the last minute before things are due, but I think it would be much healthier and better if I become more direct and stayed truer to the original calendar that I developed.

Comments

Popular Posts