Extra Credit Reading Notes: Brer Rabbit, Part B


    I again really loved reading these tales. I especially loved "Old Mr. Rabbit, He's a Good Fisherman." I think my favorite part of the story was jsut the fact that they weren't trying to kill or hurt each other. Like it obviously wouldn't be the same stories if there weren't some trickery going on, but it is nice that there's no maiming or death on the horizon. Especially after the final story in the last unit where Brer Wolf was burned and boiled by the hot water and then Brer Rabbit skinned him. 
    I also enjoyed the story about the little rabbits! Bunnies are so cute and so precious, so it was fun reading a story about little bunnies and getting to picture them doing the things in the stories. It also made me appreciate how many illustrations have been made for this book. They were such a fun thing to be looking at and using to help picture the actions of the story. It was just pleasant that they weren't hurt in any way, but it leaves me with a lot of questions about the bird that helped them. I think I would want to write a story about the bird this week. It literally saved their lives and we know so little about it! I want to change that. I think I could get some practice writing a bit of a trickster character, where the bird is intentionally tricking the fox. This may sound a little silly, but I'm playing an arcane trickster character for Dungeons & Dragons this semester, and I want to practice the mindset a little bit because I think it'll just help make it all more fun. So I think my approach to the bird would be writing it as a trickster character trying to play a behind-the-scenes prank on Brer Fox, a little bit like the subtle pranks that Brer Terry-pin plays!

Bibliography: Uncle Remus: His Songs and His Sayings by Joel Chandler Harris. 1881. 

Comments

Popular Posts