Extra Credit Reading Notes: Cupid and Psyche, Part A




    I'm reading the section on Cupid and Psyche to help with my final story for my storybook, but I have a lot of feelings about the story. I'm still not quite sure what direction I want to go in with the way I tell the story (a retelling or what), but I just have so many thoughts and feelings.

    First of all, in regards to the poor girl who is being told this story for comfort, I feel so bad for her! She literally got taken away on the day she was supposed to be married to the love of her life and she's just expected to deal with it?? Like the old woman has some compassion, I guess, but she also doesn't seem to appreciate what it must be like to be kidnapped at all? 

    Secondly, this story reminded me of how much I really don't like Venus. Like I really don't like her. I don't like most of the major Olympian/Roman gods, but something about her just rubs me the wrong way more than others. I think it's because she reminds me of middle school/high school bullies. Almost like Regina George in Mean Girls. She gets jealous so easily, she destroys people just because she can... I just don't like her. But I do like the image that is presented here of Cupid. I might use that as part of my story, his little impish, arcane trickster vibes.

    While I like Cupid and he obviously does love Psyche, I think he's more than a little unfair to her. He's asking for a lot of trust. I know she's getting a lot in return, but it still just feels like he's asking for a bit much from her. I do like Psyche's strength, though. I was very much not expecting the way she got her revenge, but it did feel really fitting.

Bibliography: The Golden Ass by Apuleius and translated by Tony Klein, 2013.

Comments

Popular Posts