Reading Notes: Beowulf, Part B



    For these notes, I'm going to just type up my internal monologue that I wrote down as I was doing the reading.

1. Grendel Attacks
Wow... I didn't expect it to be that gruesome that fast. But, I do want to say that, while it reminds me of Odysseus and Polyphemus, I like Beowulf more. It was true courage, not blind stupidity and a disregard for others, that led him to this encounter with Grendel.

2. The Battle with Grendel
Dang. I do think Beowulf is properly brave, since he's willing to directly fight.

3. A New Misfortune
I wasn't really expecting that whole transition with Unferth. We don't know much about him, but still...

4. Seeking Grendel's Mother
I always find it so weird in literature when they just... go underwater. I don't know why, but suspending that part of reality for me is harder than the monsters and the magic.

5. Beowulf Battles Grendel's Mother
Grendel's mother reminds me of Medusa, with the way she's described (in her appearance)
This was such a wild fight. Arrogance really is a common fatal flaw.

6. Beowulf's Triumph
I love the turnaround in Unferth. I also love a good happy ending, but I don't think things are quite over yet for Beowulf and his men.

7. The Arrival of the Dragon
I get King Caspian in The Silver Chair vibes from Beowulf. Although, I suppose Beowulf did come first. So I suppose it must be the other way around.

8. Preparing for Battle
Oooh spooky.

9. Battle with teh Dragon
Nooooo!! I can tell Beowulf is going to die! That just makes me so so sad.

10. The End of Beowful
I'm actually really sad because I do genuinely like Beowulf. I normally really don't like heroes. I find them arrogant, annoying, and too willing to make others make sacrifices for them. But Beowulf really isn't like that, and I respect that about him. He got the burial he truly deserved.

Bibliography: The Story of Beowulf by Strafford Riggs (1993), illustrated by Henry Pitz.

Comments

Popular Posts