Reading Notes: Blackfoot, Part A


"Wolf" by RickyNJ. Source: Flickr


    The first thing that really stood out to me in this week's readings was how similar some of the stories are between the different tribes. A couple of the stories, especially those with the character "Old Man," reminded me of parallel Sioux stories that I read last week. 
    The first story that I really liked, or at least that really grabbed my attention, was "The Wolf Man." Here's the thing: yes, obviously, murder is wrong. But I always feel so torn about the women in this situation. It's always focused on how they aren't good wives, but maybe he isn't a kind or good husband? I also hate traditional gender roles, which definitely doesn't help, but still. He was unkind to them by making them move so far away from all the people they loved, just so they would give him more attention. But, all that being said, I also thought it was interesting to see a story line with two wives that wasn't about jealously. The plot didn't revolve around the two of them hating each other or seeking advantage over each other, and that was honestly kind of cool.
    The other one that I really liked was "The Camp of the Ghosts." I mean, my brain spent the whole time going "MEN," but also it was just interesting! Like, first of all, don't beat your spouse. I think that goes without saying (but apparently not, because the man was warned and still went to beat his wife, which is kind of not cool). But I also knew something would go wrong, it always does (like Orpheus and Eurydice). I think I want to rewrite this story so it has a happy ending. Between the pandemic, the election, and the fact that Luis Troyano from season 5 of the Great British Baking Show just passed away, I really feel like we need less tragedy right now. 

Bibliography: Blackfoot Indian Stories by George Bird Grinnel (1915).

Comments

Popular Posts